The Latest: ICC orders interim release of former Congo VP

FILE - In this June 21, 2016 file photo, former Congolese Vice President Jean-Pierre Bemba enters the courtroom of the International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands. International Criminal Court appeals judges overturned Friday, June 8, 2018 the convictions of former Congolese Vice President Jean-Pierre Bemba for atrocities committed by his forces in Central African Republic. The reversal delivered a serious blow to ICC prosecutors by scrapping all the convictions in the court’s first trial to focus largely on sexual violence and on command responsibility - the legal principle that a commanding officer can be held responsible for crimes committed by his or her troops or for failing to prevent or punish the crimes. (Michael Kooren, Pool via AP, File)
FILE - In this Monday, March 21, 2016, file photo former Congolese vice president Jean-Pierre Bemba looks up when sitting in the court room of the International Criminal Court. International Criminal Court appeals judges overturned Friday, June 8, 2018 the convictions of former Congolese Vice President Jean-Pierre Bemba for atrocities committed by his forces in Central African Republic. The reversal delivered a serious blow to ICC prosecutors by scrapping all the convictions in the court’s first trial to focus largely on sexual violence and on command responsibility - the legal principle that a commanding officer can be held responsible for crimes committed by his or her troops or for failing to prevent or punish the crimes. (Jerry Lampen Pool Photo via AP, File)

THE HAGUE, Netherlands — The Latest on case of former Congolese Vice President Jean-Pierre Bemba (all times local):

6:25 p.m.

International Criminal Court judges have ordered the interim release of former Congolese Vice President Jean-Pierre Bemba, days after he was acquitted on appeal of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Bemba was acquitted last week and his 18-year sentence was overturned, but he remained in custody because he is awaiting sentencing in another case in which he was convicted of interfering with witnesses.

Noting that Bemba already has served more than 80 percent of the maximum five-year sentence he faces in the witness tampering case, judges ruled Tuesday that it was "disproportionate to further detain Mr. Bemba merely to ensure his appearance for sentencing."

___

12:55 p.m.

A lawyer for former Congolese Vice President Jean-Pierre Bemba has urged International Criminal Court judges to release him immediately following his acquittal last week on charges of crimes against humanity and war crimes and the overturning of his 18-year sentence.

Tuesday's hearing focused on another case in which Bemba was convicted of interfering with witnesses during his trial. He remains jailed pending a decision on his sentence in that case, in which he faces a maximum of five years and a hefty fine.

Lawyer Melinda Taylor told judges that Bemba has already served nine-tenths of the maximum sentence possible in this conviction and should be freed to rejoin his wife and children in Belgium while he awaits a final ruling on the sentence.

Judges will issue a decision by Wednesday.

People also read these

Canada asylum seekers housed at Montreal's...

Aug 2, 2017

So many asylum seekers are crossing into Canada from the United States that Montreal's Olympic...

Lucky carrot: Alberta woman finds mother-in-law's...

Aug 16, 2017

A Canadian woman who lost her engagement ring 13 years ago while weeding her garden on the family...

Uber says will cease operations in Quebec over...

Sep 26, 2017

Uber says it will cease operations in Quebec next month if the province doesn't rescind new rules...

Suspect in Canada attack entered US from Mexico...

Oct 4, 2017

A Somali refugee charged with ramming his car into a Canadian policeman, stabbing him and then...

The Latest: Canadian ex-hostage says extremists...

Oct 14, 2017

U.S.-Canadian couple Caitlan Coleman and Joshua Boyle have landed in Canada with their three young...

Sign up now!