Quebec mosque shooting suspect pleads not guilty

QUEBEC CITY — The man accused in the slayings of six men at a Quebec City mosque has pleaded not guilty.

Alexandre Bissonnette entered the pleas in a courtroom Monday ahead of pretrial motions to be debated this week.

Bissonnette faces six charges of first-degree murder and six of attempted murder. More than 50 people were at the Islamic Cultural Centre in January 2017 when the shooting began during evening prayers on a Sunday.

Those who monitor extremist groups in Quebec described the French-Canadian university student as someone who took extreme nationalist positions at Laval University and on social media. He was a supporter of French far-right leader Marine Le Pen and U.S. President Donald Trump.

Quebec's premier previously acknowledged the French-speaking province has its "demons" in terms of attitudes toward Muslims.

People also read these

Ex-Gitmo inmate gets apology, millions from Canada

Jul 7, 2017

A Canadian official says a former Guantanamo Bay prisoner who pleaded guilty to killing a U.S....

Canada asylum seekers housed at Montreal's...

Aug 2, 2017

So many asylum seekers are crossing into Canada from the United States that Montreal's Olympic...

US first lady to Invictus athletes: 'Bring home...

Sep 24, 2017

Melania Trump is encouraging the American team participating in an Olympic-style competition for...

Family freed returns to Canada, says 1 child...

Oct 14, 2017

Former Canadian hostage Joshua Boyle says the Haqqani network in Afghanistan killed his infant...

Gord Downie, lead singer of The Tragically Hip,...

Oct 18, 2017

Gord Downie, the revered lead singer and songwriter of iconic Canadian rock band The Tragically...

Sign up now!