6 appear in court on charges they sent mosque attack images

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — Six people appeared in a New Zealand court Monday on charges they illegally redistributed the video a gunman livestreamed as he shot worshippers at two mosques last month.

Christchurch District Court Judge Stephen O'Driscoll denied bail to businessman Philip Arps and an 18-year-old suspect who both were taken into custody in March. The four others are not in custody.

The charge of supplying or distributing objectionable material carries a penalty of up to 14 years imprisonment. Arps, 44, is scheduled to next appear in court via video link on April 26.

The 18-year-old suspect is charged with sharing the livestream video and a still image of the Al Noor mosque with the words "target acquired." He will reappear in court on July 31 when electronically monitored bail will be considered.

Police prosecutor Pip Currie opposed bail for the 18-year-old suspect and said the second charge, involving the words added to the still image, was of significant concern.

New Zealand's chief censor has banned both the livestreamed footage of the attack and the manifesto written and released by Brenton Harrison Tarrant, who faces 50 murder charges and 39 attempted murder charges in the March 15 attacks.

People also read these

Canadian accused in Yahoo hack has bail hearing

Apr 5, 2017

A Canadian man accused in a massive hack of Yahoo emails says he'll live with his parents and will...

Canada asylum seekers housed at Montreal's...

Aug 2, 2017

So many asylum seekers are crossing into Canada from the United States that Montreal's Olympic...

Pastor freed from North Korean prison arrives...

Aug 13, 2017

A Canadian pastor who was imprisoned for more than two years in North Korea has arrived back home

Issues remain as 3rd round of NAFTA talks wraps...

Sep 27, 2017

Contentious issues remain in NAFTA renegotiations as the U.S., Canada and Mexico conclude a third...

Bombardier Inc. to partner with Airbus on C...

Oct 17, 2017

Canadian plane maker Bombardier has a sold a majority stake in its C Series passenger jet business...

Sign up now!